Entry Requirements for the North Star School Direct Programme 2019-20
- You need to be a graduate, ideally with a 2:1 or above, although consideration will be given to students with a lower classification who can demonstrate a commitment to children’s learning and development.
- We welcome graduates from a range of backgrounds, previous recent relevant experience with young children is preferable but not essential.
- You should have GCSEs in maths, English and science grade C or above. Equivalency tests are available.
- We will be looking for high-calibre students who can demonstrate real passion and commitment to teaching, students who are resilient and resourceful, creative, hard working and who show a willingness to learn and reflect on their own development.
How to apply
Applications are through UCAS www.ucas.co.uk. The UCAS application window opens in October 2018. You can search for teacher training programmes by type, by area, by name or by course code. North Star is offering two courses:
- Primary (3-7): course code 2S6L
- Primary (5-11): course code 2PD2
What happens next
Once you have submitted your application, Leeds Trinity University will check that basic criteria have been met, and then will pass applicant details to North Star. Interviews will take place shortly after this and will be held in one of North Star’s primary schools. Interviewees will be asked to prepare a short (10-minute) teaching exercise to deliver to a small group of children, there will be a written test and a formal interview with North Star team members. Our aim is to find out what applicants know about teaching and learning and how they interact with others of all ages; we are not trying to catch anyone out! We will inform interviewees by the end of the following day to let them know if we will be offering them a place on our programme.
If you are successful
Once you have been offered a place on our programme, you do not have to make a decision straight away – you have ten days from the date of your last offer to make up your mind. Depending on when your interview is held, it can feel like a long time between accepting a place on a programme and the next steps, but we will do everything we can to keep you informed and support you in making preparations to start teacher training. By the start of the summer term you will have the opportunity to meet your tutors, mentors and fellow students.