Word Power delivered by Kelly Ashley
This programme explores key vocabulary development research by Beck et al. Bringing Words to Life and the recent Improving Literacy at KS1 and KS2 and Preparing for Literacy guidance from the EEF, sharing practical advice on how to translate research into everyday classroom practice.
How can we develop pupils’ #WordPower to improve reading, writing and communication?
Strategies for increasing pupils’ EXPOSURE to words in a language-rich environment, alongside approaches for DIRECT TEACHING of vocabulary through the integration of ‘Word Attack’ skills will be explored.
1. To understand the central importance of vocabulary as a tool for communication
2. To consider strategies for amplifying pupils’ vocabulary within a language-rich environment
3. To investigate strategies for direct teaching of vocabulary using a range of ‘Word Attack’ skills, helping pupils to magnify connections between words and deepen understanding of language
4. To plan regular opportunities for pupils to practise, apply and retrieve word knowledge in a range of contexts
- To understand how to plan for rich and robust vocabulary instruction opportunities both through implicit and explicit instruction
- To explore strategies to develop and deepen pupils’ word knowledge in order to develop reading, writing and communication skills
Tuesday 22nd January 2019 9am to 3.30pm
Meadowside Academy, Halfpenny Lane, Knaresborough, HG5 0SL
£100 per delegate for North Star and Polaris members. Non-members £150.
Please note that in the event of a cancellation the following terms will be applied: Cancellations within two weeks of the event: 50% charge; cancellations within 48 hrs of the event/no show: 100% charge