In order to ensure schools are seeing maximum impact from CPLD programmes (and getting best value), North Star is committed to good implementation. Our strategy is based on: The DfE Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development, The Education Endowment Foundation’s A School’s Guide to Implementation, and The Teacher Development Trust’s Developing Great Teaching
The Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development states that, ‘Effective teacher professional development is a partnership between:
- Head teachers and other members of the leadership team;
- Teachers; and
- Providers of professional development expertise, training or consultancy.
In order for this partnership to be successful:
1 Professional development should have a focus on improving and evaluating pupil outcomes.
2 Professional development should be underpinned by robust evidence and expertise.
3 Professional development should include collaboration and expert challenge.
4 Professional development programmes should be sustained over time.
And all this is underpinned by, and requires that:
5 Professional development must be prioritised by school leadership.
Schools can create a fertile environment for impact with these strategies:
- Ensure CPLD attended by staff has a clear rationale tied to School Development Priorities and PM targets
- Teachers and leaders equally understand the value and need for CPLD
- Ensure training is followed by sustained and iterative consolidation and support activities (eg coaching, lesson study)
- Regular evaluation of impact, by teacher and leaders
North Star will support maximum impact of CPLD with eight key tools:
- Pre-course delegate evaluations
- Intended outcomes of programmes clearly communicated
- Evidence base for the training shared
- Delegates provided with CPD record sheet
- Gap tasks
- Delegate evaluations on completion of the programme
- Three-month follow-up delegate evaluation
- Six-month Heads’ impact evaluation
At North Star we believe in a rounded CPD programme that provides teachers with a comprehensive menu of strategies to support their development. Please see an outline of some of these strategies below.